Florida prosecutes more children as adults than any other state in the nation. Once charged, these youth await trial in adult jails, where their rights to humane treatment and education are routinely neglected. Use this toolkit to advocate for these youth both locally and before the State Legislature.
- An Unjust Process with Unjust Results.
- James Madison Institute, No Place for A Child: Direct File of Juveniles Comes at a High Cost; Time to Fix Statutes, February 2016.
- SPLC, Destined to Fail: How Florida Jails Deprive Children of Schooling, 2018.
- Campaign for Youth Justice, Fact Sheet: Direct File, 2018.
- Human Rights Watch, Branded for Life: Florida's Prosecution of Children as Adults under its "Direct File" Statute, 2014.
- SPLC, Solitary Confinement: Inhuman, Ineffective, and Wasteful, 2019.
- No Place for a Child Coalition to reform direct file
- Contact your legislator
- Grow local support for statewide reform
Organizations across the state and country are working to educate policymakers, advocates and Floridians on the unintended consequences of Florida's direct file law and what is needed to reform the direct file system
- Department of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Profile
- Filter "DJJ Status" as Adult
- Use "Data Display" to display demographic or offense data