Florida prosecutes more children as adults than any other state in the nation. Once charged, these youth await trial in adult jails, where their rights to humane treatment and education are routinely neglected. Use this toolkit to advocate for these youth both locally and before the State Legislature.
- An Unjust Process with Unjust Results.
- OPPAGA, Direct File of Children to Adult Court Is Decreasing; Better Data Needed to Assess Sanctions, March 2017.
- James Madison Institute, No Place for A Child: Direct File of Juveniles Comes at a High Cost; Time to Fix Statutes, February 2016.
- SPLC, Destined to Fail: How Florida Jails Deprive Children of Schooling, 2018.
- Reduce the use of direct file.
- Improve conditions of confinement.
- No Place for a Child Coalition to reform direct file
- Fact Sheet: Proposed Legislation
- Contact your legislator
- Grow local support for statewide reform
- Potential Allies
- Department of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Profile