This year, LGBTQ+ Floridians, particularly trans and gender nonconforming youth, no longer feel safe, seen, or loved in our state, as a result of the legislature’s unprecedented attack on LGBTQ+ lives and futures. They may want to marginalize our communities, but now, more than ever, we must speak out and raise our voices to protect and empower LGBTQ+ Floridians.
We believe that fighting for the society we want means not just persuading judges and government officials, but ultimately making society safer for and more inclusive of LGBTQ+ people. To end discrimination, we must seek both to change the law and our societal norms to end discrimination on sexual orientation and gender identity.
This year for Pride Month, the ACLU of Florida commemorates the continued struggle for LGBTQ+ liberation and reaffirms our commitment to rekindling the legacy of Pride as a protest against unjust systemic oppression. In Florida, on the frontlines of the movement for LGBTQ+ rights, we CANNOT be erased, and we WILL NOT be silenced.
Support and uplift LGBTQ+ stories and creators
Check out blog posts and stories shared by members of our LGBTQ+ community here:
- Blog: “During This Pride Month, Remember: The Past is Prologue in Florida’s Fight for LGBTQ+ Liberation” by Dr. Julio Capo, Jr.
- Blog: “Florida was once a Trans Activist Hub” by Eli Erlick
- Blog: “Unconstitutional Countdown: The Clock is Ticking for Anti-Trans Antagonists” by Quinn Diaz, ACLU of Florida
Learn more about the experiences of the LGBTQ+ community
- Book: “All Boys Aren’t Blue” by George M. Johnson
- Book:"Felix Ever After" by Kacen Callender
- Book: "The City We Became" by N.K. Jemisin
- Book: "Pet" by Akwaeke Emezi
- Book: "Giovanni's Room" by James Baldwin
- Movie: Moonlight directed by Barry Jenkins
- Movie: Gun Hill Road by Rashaad Ernesto Green
- Movie: Kiki by Sara Jordenö
- Movie: Pariah by Dee Rees
- Movie: Out by Steven Clay Hunter
- Podcast: Getting Curious with Jon Van Ness
- Podcast: Food For Thot hosted by Tommy Pico, Fran Tirado, Dennis Norris II, and Joe Osmundson
- Podcast: Making Gay History hosted by Eric Marcus
- Podcast: Wanna be on Top? with Shea Couleé
- Podcast: Las Culturistas hosted by Matt Rodgers and Bowen Yang
Donate to organizations that serve LGBTQ+ communities here in Florida and across the nation
There are many LGBTQ+ organizations that celebrate Pride Month and serve various LGBTQ+ communities in Florida. Here are a few to check out:
- The Bros In Convo Initiative
- Equality Florida
- TransInclusive Group
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation
- National LGBTQ Task Force
Additionally, here are LGBTQ+ organizations doing work across the nation that you can donate to today.