If Florida State Bill 168 and House Bill 527 pass, it would undermine local governments’ ability to protect the civil rights of their residents by forcing local officials to cooperate with ICE. It would also put immigrants at risk of violence, potentially forcing victims and witnesses to stay silent for fear of deportation.
Both Florida residents, citizens and non-citizens, and travelers could face risks of being racially profiled and being detained without probable cause.
All travelers and residents should take the following steps if these bills become law:
- Memorize the phone number for a licensed immigration attorney
- Discuss a plan with loved ones regarding care/custody of children, pets, property, belongings
- Text UNIDOS to 313131 to stay connected (Standard rates apply)
- Call the Immigrant Hotline at 1-888-600-5762 to learn about your constitutional rights
- Research detailed information about how to engage with law enforcement from the ACLU