The Palm Beach Chapter of the ACLU of Florida is once again awarding the Harriette S. Glasner Freedom Award. It is presented yearly in recognition of a “Lifelong Devotion to Civil Liberties.” Harriette helped found the first local chapter of Planned Parenthood, the first Unitarian Church in Palm Beach County, the Urban League of the Palm Beaches, and was a member of the ACLU since the 1920s. She was characterized as a “humanitarian who blended her devotion to justice with Palm Beach wealth to wipe segregation from the face of Palm Beach County more than four decades ago.” We are inviting you to participate in the nomination process.
Past recipients include Congressman Harry Johnston, Congresswoman and former WPB mayor Lois Frankel, anti-death penalty advocate Richard Greene, attorney William Holland (who led the fight to de-segregate Palm Beach County schools), and Palm Beach County Judges Edward Rogers, Rosemary Barkett, Paul Moyle, Barry Cohen and Moses Baker. Other recipients were Public Defender Carey Haughwout, Mim George, attorneys Frank Kreidler and Maria Kayanen, Supervisor of Elections Susan Bucher, PB Post writer Frank Cerabino, Post Editor Rick Christie, Les Rivkin, Alcee Hastings, Jill Hanson, Former Florida Senator Eleanor Weinstock, Rand Hock, Jim Green, Lois Silber, Mona Reis, and Dr. Ethelene Jones.
To participate in the nomination process, please suggest a worthy nominee who:
- demonstrates Glasner’s devotion to civil liberties and justice and
- is either a resident of Palm Beach County, or has done significant civil liberties work in the county.
Please remember that we are a nonpartisan organization.
The following information should be included with your nomination:
- Name of Nominee
- Title of Nominee
- Contact information for the Nominee
- A detailed statement describing why you think the nominee is a worthy choice.
- Whether you personally know the Nominee. If so, how you know this person, and for how long
- Whether you have a personal or fiduciary relationship with the Nominee.
- Your name and contact information
Please send your nomination, including attachments if any, to me at email@example.com. The deadline for nominations is January 31st. Any questions should be sent to the same email address.