Senate Bill 308 is scheduled to be heard on Tuesday, January 30 in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Two Miami-Dade state senators, Anitere Flores and Rene Garcia, have opposed anti-sanctuary policies in the past and could be the deciding votes in stopping SB 308.
Senators Flores and Garcia need to hear from you: CALL NOW now and thank them for standing up for the rights and dignity of immigrants in Florida!
Senator Flores: (850) 487-5039
Senator Garcia: (850) 487-5036
- Thank you for standing up and protecting immigrants' rights in Florida.
- As you know, Senate Bill 308 would be devastating for all of Florida's communities and I'm calling to ask you to reject SB 308.
- Law enforcement's primary function is to protect and serve all communities, but SB 308 would drain valuable law enforcement resources, erode trust between police and the communities they serve.
- It will drive victims and witnesses into the shadows. Laws like these have shown that when victims are afraid to report their abusers to the public for fear of deportation, it affects all of us.
- It will put a target on the backs of immigrants and people of color by requiring law enforcement to act as immigration agents. Laws like SB 308 have been found by courts to be unconstitutional as they violate the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments of the Constitution.
- SB 308 would make local law enforcement honor warrantless ICE detainer requests which also violate people's civil rights.