In these divisive and reactionary times, youth need your help ensuring that their schools are safe, nurturing environments. Much work has been accomplished since the disproven theory of “super predators” and the hardening of schools post-Columbine. However, we find ourselves once again facing calls to harden our schools and get tough on youth misbehavior. Use these resources to understand the issues, evaluate your local schools and advocate for better practices.
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act
- Books, not Bullets: Talking points on calls to increase guns in schools
- Our Kids are Not Suspects: talking points on the role of law enforcement in schools
- ACLU School Discipline Report
- Dignity in Schools Organizing Toolkit
- School Discipline: Navigating the Data
- Fla Dept. of Ed Office of Safe Schools
- Use these resources to learn more, research your local district, and connect with potential allies.
- Use these questions about school safety to guide your advocacy when meeting with or talking to local leaders and elected officials.