In these divisive and reactionary times, youth need your help ensuring that their schools are safe, nurturing environments. Much work has been accomplished since the disproven theory of “super predators” and the hardening of schools post-Columbine. However, we find ourselves once again facing calls to harden our schools and get tough on youth misbehavior. Use these resources to understand the issues, evaluate your local schools and advocate for better practices.
Issue Briefs & Reports
ACLU of Florida, Cost of School Policing: What Florida's students have paid for a pretense of security, 2020.
SPLC, Safe for Whom? How the MSD Commission is Putting Florida's Children in Danger, 2019.
ACLU of Florida, Safe to Learn: An Assessment of School Climate and Discipline in Florida, 2019.
ACLU, Cops and No Counselors: How the Lack of School Mental Health Staff Is Harming Students, 2018.
ACLU of Florida, Beyond Arming Teachers, What Did the 2019 Florida Legislature Do About School Safety?
ACLU of Florida, The 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act: What it means for students
- Florida's School to Prison Pipeline, 2018-19
- School to Prison Pipeline
- Counselors, not Cops
- School Discipline – A Better Way
- Books, not Bullets: Talking points on calls to increase guns in schools
- Our Kids are Not Suspects: talking points on the role of law enforcement in schools
School Safety Resources
- End Zero Tolerance
- ACLU School Discipline Report, 2017
- Dignity in Schools Organizing Toolkit
- School Discipline: Navigating the Data
- Fla Dept. of Ed Office of Safe Schools
- Use these resources to learn more, research your local district, and connect with potential allies.
- Use these questions about school safety to guide your advocacy when meeting with or talking to local leaders and elected officials.