Our kids are at the mercy of justice by geography, as counties continue to struggle to implement pre-arrest diversion programs. It is normal for adolescents to make poor choices and mistakes. We’ve learned that tough on crime policies backfire with young people, pulling them deeper into delinquency and making it increasingly difficult for them to leave their pasts behind as they head into adulthood. Pre-arrest diversion addresses this by meeting the youth where they are with individualized assessment and interventions to address unmet needs without shouldering them with an arrest and criminal prosecution. In the end, pre-arrest diversion saves money, reduces crime through reduced recidivism, and improves youth outcomes. Use these resources to make sure your community is taking full advantage of these benefits!
- New Legislation: An opportunity to end justice by geography.
- Pre-Arrest Diversion: The Most Effective Tool for Common Youth Misbehavior
Local Advocacy & Resources
- Advocacy Guide
- Stepping Up Study: Florida's Top Juvenile Pre-Arrest Diversion Efforts
- Review Practices in Your Community
- Resources for Your Community
- Factsheet: Pre-Arrest Diversion is the Best Tool for Juvenile Delinquency
- Stepping Up Study: County Profiles