In Florida, driver’s license suspensions and revocations are now routinely used to criminalize the poor, and are often suspended for non-driving offenses.
Call now: Tell your legislator revoking someone’s driver’s license because they are unable to pay court fees or for non-driving offenses is counter-productive. Pass legialation in the Florida House to end this unjust practice.
Suggested call message:
Hello, my name is _________. I am calling to ask Rep/Senator _______ to support legialation that ends the practice of suspending driver's licenses for non-driving offenses and for those who cannot afford to pay fines or fees. In Florida, if an individual has their driver’s license suspended for a non-driving offense, the burdens placed on them to travel to work, school, the grocery store, and other everyday places can impact how they are able to provide for their themselves and their families. More than 1 million Florida drivers had their license suspended for unpaid fines and fees, which has nothing to do with dangerous driving. 79% of Floridians believe we should stop suspending driver's licenses for people who cannot afford to pay fines and fees, and who agree to do community service. Please tell Rep/Senator _____ to help eliminate racial disparities in our justice system by passing legislation in the House to end the unjust practice of suspending driver's licenses for non-driving offenses and for those who cannot afford fines and fees.
Stop Suspending Driver’s Licenses for Non-Driving Offenses
- License suspensions for non-driving offenses disproportionately impact communities of color
- License suspensions for non-driving offenses disproportionately impact low-income Floridians
- License suspensions for non-driving offenses do not improve the collection of fines
- License suspensions for non-driving offenses create a Catch-22 scenario with long-term, negative effects
- Enforcing non-driving-related suspensions detracts from traffic safety priorities
- Stop suspending driver’s licenses for certain non-driving related offenses
- Eliminate driver’s license suspensions for those who simply cannot afford fines and fees