The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Florida (ACLU-FL) seeks a New Media Strategist to produce high-quality graphics for print materials, social media, other digital distribution channels, and the ACLU of Florida website. In addition to producing high-quality graphics, the New Media Strategist is responsible for ongoing creation of graphic assets, photo editing, and graphic production assistance for larger scale projects. They are experienced in creating designs in adherence to visual branding identity guidelines and continuing to innovate and push the design experience at the ACLU. The New Media Strategist will also work with the Communications Director to draft and create email marketing and website content.
The position is based in Miami, FL and reports to the Director of Communications.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s premier civil rights advocacy organization, is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization that employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education and communications to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional issues and individual rights and freedoms, including the freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and immigrant rights.
The ACLU of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights. The national ACLU implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. With offices in Jacksonville, Miami (headquarters), Pensacola, and Tampa, the Florida affiliate has a $5.5M operating budget and over 30 staff positions, placing it among the larger affiliates in the nation.
- Develop familiarity with the ACLU brand.
- Design and produce graphics for use on ACLU of Florida websites, social media channels and emails in keeping with graphic design standards, project objectives, and branding guidelines.
- Create reusable graphics templates; modify and resize existing graphics for various platforms and uses; format materials based on specifications.
- Assist with layout of online and print publications, including reports, white papers, and pamphlets; create data visualization graphics for reports, such as tables, charts, etc.
- Create promotional materials for online and print ads and ACLU-branded merchandise.
- Produce layouts and designs for website special features.
- Create and produce other graphics as needed, including presentations, internal communications templates, text cards for videos, info-graphics, and more.
- Assist with retouching documentary, portrait, and marketing photographs.
- Work with vendors and consultants such as designers, copyeditors, and printers.
- Assist with managing digital asset libraries.
- Perform photo research from archives, publicly available image libraries, and stock agencies; recommend and purchase stock images as needed; track image rights usage.
- Craft e-mail marketing alerts and participate in digital strategy planning, in close collaboration with the Communications Director and Digital Media Associate.
- Collaborate with staff across the ACLU on graphic design needs.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- A minimum of two years of experience in graphic design, digital media or email marketing
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Basic HTML experience or experience working with Content Management Systems.
- Ability to design and implement direct email campaigns with email marketing platforms.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU of Florida.
- While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Professional experience creating graphics for digital and print media.
- Experience with publication design and layout for digital and print is desired.
- Some experience with merchandise design or marketing collateral such as t-shirts, postcards, brochures, digital banners, and ads is preferred.
- Understanding of trends and best practices for using graphics to communicate effectively via digital channels.
- Ability to identify target audiences and grow our email list.
- Ability to create email databases for lead generation.
- Understanding of campaign performance metrics.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards.
- Passion for graphic design, color management, and typography.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $44,000 - $55,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan.
Please send cover letter, resume, portfolio or examples of work by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries should include New Media Strategist in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or pdf format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please advise if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.