The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a Graphic Designer. The Graphic Designer works closely with the Communications Director to achieve the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position will be located in one of the organization’s offices in Miami, Tampa, or Orlando and includes some travel.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For over 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of four offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8 million and 53 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBTQ+ rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
In this role, you will report directly to the Communications Director. The Graphic Designer produces high-quality graphics for print materials, social media, other digital distribution channels, and the ACLU of Florida’s website. In addition to producing high-quality graphics, the Graphic Designer is responsible for ongoing creation of graphic assets, photo editing, and graphic production assistance for larger scale projects. They are experienced in creating designs in adherence to visual branding identity guidelines and continuing to innovate and push the design experience at the ACLU of Florida.
- Develop familiarity with the ACLU brand.
- Design and produce graphics for use on ACLU of Florida websites, social media channels and emails in keeping with graphic design standards, project objectives, and branding guidelines.
- Create reusable graphics templates; modify and resize existing graphics for various platforms and uses; format materials based on specifications.
- Design and layout online and print publications, including reports, white papers, and pamphlets; create data visualization graphics for reports, such as tables, charts, etc.
- Create promotional materials for online and print ads and ACLU-branded merchandise.
- Produce layouts and designs for website special features.
- Create and produce other graphics as needed, including presentations, internal communications templates, text cards for videos, info-graphics, and more.
- Retouch documentary, portrait, and marketing photographs.
- Work with vendors and consultants such as designers, copyeditors, and printers.
- Identify and work with vendors to secure estimates for print materials and other projects.
- Manage digital asset libraries.
- Perform photo research from archives, publicly available image libraries, and stock agencies; recommend and purchase stock images as needed; track image rights usage.
- Collaborate with staff across the ACLU of Florida on graphic design needs.
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience in graphic design and digital media.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Canva.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU of Florida.
- Strong commitment to racial and social justice.
- Professional experience creating graphics for digital and print media.
- Experience with publication design and layout for digital and print is desired.
- Some experience with merchandise design or marketing collateral such as t-shirts, postcards, brochures, digital banners, and ads is preferred.
- Understanding of trends and best practices for using graphics to communicate effectively via digital channels.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to deliver work products under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards.
- Passion for graphic design, color management, and typography.
- Fluency in Spanish or Creole preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with collaborative workspace tools, including Asana and Slack
- Ability to create custom illustrations using Adobe programs or ProCreate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $52k to $70k. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan. Base vacation leave is five weeks per year (and six weeks per year after five years).
Please send a cover letter, resume and portfolio by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries should include Graphic Designer in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Applicants who proceed beyond a first interview will be required to complete a two-hour graphic design assignment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.