Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual, eager to take on an unparalleled opportunity to grow our fundraising operation throughout the state of Florida. The newly created position, Donor Relations Manager, will be based in our Miami office. Our team is excited to work with an individual who is energized by supporting the teams fundraising efforts and meeting with donors and prospects. Our ideal Donor Relations Manager is inspired by the work of the ACLU and sees an opportunity to work with our team, donors and prospects to ensure that donors are able to fulfill their personal giving goals. The successful applicant will understand how to gather and track data, determine priorities, set and reach ambitious fundraising goals, communicate inspiring messages, talk to donors and prospects and work with a dedicated team.
Our mission is timely, our Florida staff is committed to protecting civil rights and liberties, and we are poised to succeed with a community of over 45,000 individual members and donors.
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With millions of members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
There has never been a more exciting time to pursue a career at the ACLU. As we look toward our 100th anniversary in 2020, we are taking our organization to the next level by expanding our development operation, strengthening infrastructure, amplifying our public engagement, expanding our legal program, and building the political power necessary to continue to fight new threats to freedom head-on—and win.
We are a passionate, highly motivated group of attorneys, public policy and legislative advocates, communications experts, community organizers, and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
The ACLU of Florida has offices in Jacksonville, Miami (main), Pensacola, and Tampa, with a total staff of about 35 people.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Philanthropy, the Donor Relations Manager (DRM) will work to ensure that the ACLU of Florida meets our fundraising goals by increasing philanthropic donations to support the ACLU’s work to defend and expand civil rights and civil liberties. The DRM will support the team with research, message drafting, small donor gatherings, donor communications, reporting and solicitation strategy and preparation. The DRM will also manage a portfolio of mid-level donors and prospects. The DRM will be responsible for qualifying new prospects and cultivating relationships in order to maximize financial support. In addition to soliciting gifts for the annual fund, the DRM will explore planned giving opportunities and solicit special campaign gifts.
The DRM works closely with members of the ACLU of Florida’s development department and development colleagues at the national ACLU, as well as with staff in every department of the state organization. The DRM will spend time in direct interaction with donors, to ensure that each donor can fulfill their desire to contribute and support the ACLU’s work in a manner that is consistent with their values. The DRM will be based in the ACLU of Florida’s Miami office. The positions will require some travel within Florida.
The Donor Relations Manager will:
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 mid-level donors.
- Create individual goals for donors and prospects.
- Create a comprehensive cultivation and solicitation strategy for donors and prospects in our community of donors.
- Execute strategies that fulfill the goals of donors in portfolio.
- Develop and implement a communications plan.
- Directly qualify, cultivate, steward and solicit mid-level and planned gifts.
- Provide support to senior staff in preparation for solicitation or stewardship opportunities, including concise briefing materials for meetings with donors and prospects.
- Work with the staff to secure project information to develop materials and communication including highly personalized proposals that are consistent with donor interests and programmatic priorities.
- Develop special cultivation and stewardship opportunities, such as small events for select donors and prospects.
- Track portfolio activity, communication, and progress.
- Create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Maintain extensive and current knowledge of the ACLU’s programmatic priorities and issues and develop engaging communication about those issues.
- Work closely with and provide support as needed to all development team members and ACLU of Florida staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong commitment to the principles and values of the ACLU and its mission.
- Minimum of three years of experience in nonprofit fundraising preferred, with a proven track record of soliciting, closing, and stewarding gifts, or comparable experience.
- Experience soliciting planned gifts is also preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to simplify complex themes and activities into a short, compelling presentation or written piece. Familiarity with talking about utilizing public policy advocacy and litigation to promote social justice is helpful.
- Strong people skills. The ability to communicate effectively and respectfully on the phone, via email and text and in person with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, and the general public.
- Persuasiveness and perseverance in attaining goals.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines. Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress towards achieving goals. Familiarity with moves management preferred.
- Personal initiative and a sense of humor. Friendly, outgoing, and collaborative approach, and a strong team-oriented style.
- Experience with donor database management and systems to track campaigns preferred while required to ensure that sensitive information be kept private and secure.
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and a donor database (SalesForce, Research Point, Infoview) preferred.
- Must be available for travel across the state, as well as limited out-of-state travel.
- A confident and professional work style. Ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances. Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve.
- Knowledge of the Florida philanthropic community preferred.
- Ability to work beyond the traditional workday and work week as needed.
- This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $45,000 to $60,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan.
Please submit a letter of application and a resume to:
ACLU of Florida
4343 West Flagler Street, Suite 400
Miami, Florida 33134
or e-mail to email@example.com
Please indicate “Donor Relations Manager” in the subject line of your email. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. [Fluency in Spanish or Creole is desired, but not required].