The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Florida (ACLU-FL) seeks a Digital Storyteller and Graphic Designer to serve as the in-house videographer and video editor and in-house designer of all digital and print publications, promotional materials, and multi-media. The Digital Storyteller and Graphic Designer should have a passion for finding great content for distribution to all platforms. The Digital Storyteller and Graphic Designer must be a creative thinker with the ability to juggle multiple tasks. The candidate must be able to shoot, edit, write, produce and turn around pieces in a timely fashion.
The position is based in Miami and reports to the Director of Communications. As a member of the Communications Department, the candidate will work collaboratively with the entire office to meet the ACLU-FL’s design/multimedia needs.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s premier civil rights advocacy organization, is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization that employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education and communications to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional issues and individual rights and freedoms, including the freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and immigrant rights.
The ACLU of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights. The national ACLU implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. With offices in Jacksonville, Miami (main), Pensacola, and Tampa, the Florida affiliate has a $5.5M operating budget and 35 staff positions, placing it among the larger affiliates in the nation.
- Maintain the visual identity of the ACLU-FL consistent with the national ACLU brand guidelines. Ensure consistency throughout the office in the use of the ACLU brand and style guide.
Design & Production of Materials
- Design and produce all ACLU-FL print and digital publications and media, office-wide templates, event invitations, pamphlets, flyers, policy reports, social media graphics and more.
- Design and produce ACLU promotional materials and merchandise such as stickers, pins, T-shirts, posters, and more, as requested.
- Conduct vision interviews at the start of a project and consult with project lead throughout the timeline.
- Create or find images and graphic elements for projects.
- Get bids and handle logistics for printing and mailing projects. (Website production is handled by the IT staff).
Media Asset Management
- Maintain useful library of images, graphics, videos, templates, and design inputs. Ensure that photographs are taken of important ACLU activities and clients.
- Recommend creation or updates to assets.
Video Content Creation and Editing
- Shoot and edit all video footage, including technical tasks related to production and post-production
- Generate story ideas that align with organizational priorities and messaging
- Determines what camera equipment is necessary and obtains equipment
- Transports, sets up, and operates various production equipment including cameras, audio and video recorders, lighting equipment, props, and microphones for location and studio production
- Operates and maintains proper levels and calibration of cameras, audio and video recorders, and other production equipment
- Handle other projects related to advancing public understanding of civil liberties as assigned.
- Supervise volunteers and interns.
- Assist the Communications Team as needed.
- Attend various ACLU functions.
- Experience and skill in creating print publications using desktop publishing software. An understanding of various printing processes and demonstrated design experience using Adobe products such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop preferred.
- Experience and skill with The Adobe Creative Suite for editing, scripting, or marketing a film; or other video editing software.
- Experience and skill with camera equipment (digital cameras, video recording cameras), lighting equipment (spotlights, handheld lights) and audio equipment (microphones).
- A working knowledge of basic web technologies, content management systems (such as Drupal), and HTML, and experience in designing graphics for websites.
- Understanding of accessibility standards and ability to design accessible materials.
- Proven ability to handle projects, set priorities, manage details, and follow-through independently.
- Commitment to a “customer service” approach as the design expert, treating fellow staff as “clients” for individual projects.
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on tasks large and small. A “can-do” attitude.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills, including planning, keeping organized files, and problem solving. Experience in supervising volunteers and working cooperatively with groups.
- A confident as well as professional demeanor, with a history of reliability, conscientiousness, and timeliness.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; a personal approach that values the individual while respecting differences.
- Strong support of the ACLU and general familiarity with civil rights and civil liberties issues.
- Ability to work occasional overtime or irregular hours.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary will be set depending upon experience. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan.
The ACLU of Florida encourages formerly incarcerated individuals to apply.
Application Process: Please send cover letter, resume, design portfolio and/or reel by email to email@example.com. All inquiries should include “Digital Storyteller and/or Graphic Designer” in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or pdf format.
Preferred candidate meets job qualifications for both the digital storyteller and graphic designer; however, it is not required to have job skills in both.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. Fluency in Spanish or Creole is desired, but not required.