The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Florida seeks a Data Analyst. The Data Analyst works in the Policy and Advocacy Department to achieve the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position will be based from the organization’s Tampa office, but includes some travel and the possibility for some remote work.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For over 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of four offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8 million and 55 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
The Data Analyst is a staff position within the Affiliate’s Policy and Advocacy Department Department (PAD). The position reports to the Research Coordinator. The Data Analyst will design and develop systems to integrate and analyze data to develop and explain insights into civil rights issues facing Floridians, primarily in the realm of Criminal Justice Reform, Immigrant Rights and Voting Rights. These insights will inform policy, legal and campaign strategies, while data visualization products will support our integrated advocacy campaigns.
- Conduct research and integrate data from multiple sources, in multiple formats.
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Analyze data for trends, disparities and patterns to inform strategic and policy decisions.
- Create data visualizations for web and print to demystify data for general audiences and package it for effective use in advocacy.
- Collaborate with staff across the ACLU to identify data solutions to policy, campaign and workflow needs.
- Strengthen relationships with strategic partners, including research vendors, academics, and others.
- Contribute to strategy development.
- Contribute to development of materials, tracking and reporting tools.
- Provide software solution recommendations.
- Serve as spokesperson, as necessary.
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in mathematics, computer science, statistics, applied public policy or similar field; or demonstrated work experience in similar fields.
- At least two (2) years experience conducting research and data analysis in a public policy or comparable work setting, with demonstrated experience in handling large data sets.
- Proficiency in applied statistics skills and query languages such as SQL.
- Proficiency with data analysis and visualization products and cloud computing, such as R, STATA, Google Cloud Platform, MS Access and Tableau.
- Familiarity with various CRM and database tools (such as EveryAction, VAN, Salesforce, Airtable and similar).
- Innate curiosity, passion and initiative.
- Fluency in Spanish or Creole preferred, but not required.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $52,000 to $70,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan.
Please send cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. All inquiries should include Data Analyst in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the ACLU of FL, is currently working remotely
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment efforts provide persons with disabilities with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU of Florida is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.