The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a Contract Canvasser that works in collaboration with the Field Department to achieve the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. Multiple contract positions are available in Jacksonville, FL. The duration of this contract position is only for the Jacksonville Municipal Elections starting on or after February 21st and ending on March 21st, 2023.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For over 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of six offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, Orlando, Tallahassee and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8 million and 55 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy & organizing, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBTQ+ rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
Under the direction and supervision of the ACLU-FL Field Director and in collaboration with the ACLU-FL Field team, the ACLU FL Contract Canvasser will be responsible for knocking doors and talking to voters for the upcoming elections. The purpose of this position is to educate voters on the upcoming municipal elections and to provide general voter information to amplify civil rights in the Jacksonville community. This position is non-partisan.
- Knock on doors in your designated turf for 5 hours each day up until the March 21st Jacksonville Municipal Elections.
- Educate voters on the upcoming municipal elections, including important dates, how to participate, and referring to organizers as needed.
- Input information collected at site into MiniVan to record responses at each door on plans to vote.
- An interest in electoral/voter access, and general understanding of elections.
- Commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to racial justice and civil rights issues.
- A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ideological positions and religious views.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including weekends.
- Live in Jacksonville, FL.
- A phone with access to the internet for MiniVan use.
- Valid driver’s license (will need to drive around the community to get to canvassing locations).
- Experience using MiniVan is a plus.
- Experience canvassing is a plus.
- Fluency in a language other than English is a plus.
- This is a part-time position (25 hours a week)
- Compensation will be $25 an hour.
- You will also receive a $50 per month subsidy for ACLU-related cell phone expenses and a $100 per month subsidy for transportation expenses.
- To apply, email Krsha Sendón at email@example.com with the subject line "Contract Canvasser" including a copy of your resume/cover letter.