The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks an Accounting Manager. The Accounting Manager works in the ACLU of Florida’s Finance & Administrative Department and works closely with Deputy Director of Finance to achieve the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position is located in the organization’s Miami office.
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For over 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of six offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Pensacola, Orlando, Tallahassee and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8 million and 55 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBTQ+ rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
The Accounting Manager is a staff position within the Affiliate’s Finance and Administration Department and reports to the Deputy Director of Finance. The Accounting Manager will be responsible for the timely and accurate processing and accounting including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll as well as maintaining all related records; functions that support the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy.
Work is performed under general direction with extensive latitude in the use of initiative. Position relies on experience and exercises considerable independent judgment based on subject-matter expertise in area of specialization.
- Maintain day to day bookkeeping and processing for accounts payable and receivable in QuickBooks.
- Assist the Deputy Director of Finance in working with drafting budgets and periodic forecasts.
- Produce regular and ad hoc reports for financial analysis, record-keeping and compliance purposes.
- Assist with bank reconciliations and other month-end items.
- Prepare grant budgets, track expenses and prepare status reports for funders in accordance with guidelines.
- Prepare, review, and track reports as part of the annual revenue sharing to ensure compliance with organizational policy.
- Track lobbying-related activities, coordinate staff time tracking, and prepare regular reports for IRS reporting purposes.
- Timely and accurate management and maintenance of employee payroll and HR programs, including:
- Semimonthly payroll processing with the Professional Employer Organization (PEO).
- Benefits and compensation administration including payroll changes.
- Prepare and maintain payroll files and reports.
- Conduct monthly payroll reconciliations/audits.
- Timekeeping data management and reporting.
- Assist with new hire setup and onboarding as well as terminations.
- Assist in handling staff payroll and benefits inquiries.
- Assist in the completion of the annual National ACLU Census, Pension Audits, and other audits/reports.
- Assist with staff expense reimbursement and processing while ensuring policy is followed on all expenses and reimbursements.
- Assist Finance and Administration Department with special projects and tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field; supplemented by three (3) years of progressively responsible accounting and bookkeeping experience; or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience. Must possess and maintain a valid State of Florida Driver License
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Exceptional analytical, reporting, and communication skills.
- Experience working in a non-profit, advocacy or political organization.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with processing payroll including garnishments and benefits deduction
- Knowledge of various employee benefit plans (i.e. FSA, HSA, & 401K) and their related effect on federal and state payroll tax calculations is a plus.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, and Excel) and applicable department and organization specific software (e.g. QuickBooks) and the ability to learn and become proficient in the use of other specialized software as may be required.
- Skill in using mathematics required for the work.
- Ability to be detail oriented and organized, with a strong commitment to follow-through and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to clearly communicate and understand information in English, both orally and in writing; oral and/or writing ability in a second language preferred.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read, update, and maintain various records and files in numerical, alphabetical, or chronological sequence.
- Ability to review, compile, and organize forms, documents, and related records for efficient processing and ready retrieval.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those interacted with during work regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, military service, or diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range of $70,000 - $85,000. The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan. Base vacation leave is five weeks per year (and six weeks per year after five years).
Please send cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries should include Accounting Manager in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Applications will be accepted through March 31, 2023. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, LGBTQIA+, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed to attend.
At the ACLU of Florida, we value diversity, equality, equity, and inclusion and embrace the uniqueness of everyone. We seek to create a place of belonging where candidates of diverse backgrounds will be included, represented, and heard.
The ACLU of Florida makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment efforts provide persons with disabilities with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.