On Thursday, June 17, the Tampa City Council is again considering important proposals for a citizen review board.
Send your email to urge the Tampa City Council to adopt these important proposals for the Tampa Citizen Review Board.
Our community asks are:
- Democratize the CRB appointments to allow more placements to be made by the City Council. Currently, the mayor appoints the majority of the CRB members.
- The CRB should appoint and maintain its own independent attorney. Currently, the CRB shares an attorney with the City of Tampa Attorney’s office.
- The CRB should be able to get other relevant evidence like camera door footage. Subpoena power would exclude the subpoenaing of police officers. Currently the CRB lacks any sort of subpoena power or ability to gather and review evidence.
Community members can watch the City Council meeting live by going to https://livestream.com/cityoftampa/cttv during the meeting. Please note: This link will take you to a third-party website, livestream.com.
You can also make your voice heard on these proposals these additional ways:
- Send written comments by internet or web at https://www.tampa.gov/PublicComment (for Meeting Type, make sure to check "City Council Public Meeting Agenda Item", 06/24/21 for meeting date and "CRB" for Subject)
- Send written comments by email to TampaCityCouncil@tampagov.net
- Send written comments by US Mail to City of Tampa City Clerk, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., 3rd Floor, Tampa, FL 33602.
- Speak remotely during public comment with the use of CMT: Complete the form at https://www.tampa.gov/PublicComment AND state on the form under “Request Type” that you wish to speak live during the public comment period. You will then be contacted with additional instructions on how to participate live through the use of CMT.
- Speak or attend in person by arriving at City Council Chambers by 8:40am and by signing up to speak. City Council meeting will be held at Old City Hall 315 E. Kennedy Blvd. Tampa FL 33602.