Right now, we have an opportunity to create real, organized, and systemic change in Miami-Dade County.
Sign the petition to urge the Miami-Dade County Commission and Mayor Carlos Gimenez to implement, fully fund and support civilian oversight of Miami-Dade Police Department.
Below are the elements that effective oversight in Miami-Dade County demands:
- 13 panel members, chosen from each County district, after vetting by a nominating committee, plus one non-voting police representative;
- professional staff, trained in police procedures, with independent director and independent legal counsel;
- secure, adequate funding;
- subpoena power, in accordance with law;
- available for use/participation by all municipalities in the County;
- authorized to investigate complaints against police and review internal affairs decisions;
- authorized to conduct alternative dispute resolution to allow complainants and officers to resolve complaints outside the disciplinary process;
- authorized to study, review and report on police policies, procedures and patterns of behavior.
This petition is supported by the ACLU of Florida Greater Miami Chapter; Brownsville Civic Neighborhood Assoc.; Catalyst; Community Justice Project; COSMOS; Dream Defenders; Equality Florida; FANM; FLIC; HAGC; Latino Justice; MCCJ; NAACP (Miami-Dade and South Dade Branches); N.A.N.A.; New Florida Majority; NLG of South Florida; Power U; PULSE; S.A.L.A.D; SAVE; South Florida People of Color; TAP; Temple Beth Sholom Miami Beach; Unity Coalition; UP-PAC; Wilkie Ferguson Jr. Bar Association